As for those who have not yet had that pleasure of hearing the story of how this little guy (I mean this in the loosest sense of the word) finally made his way in to the big bad world, here is the rundown.
After two weeks of early labor with contractions every 2 minutes I was still being refused admittance into the hospital. Although I was 80% effaced I was only dilated to a 1 and because Dexter's heart rate was steady, I was sent home from labor and delivery for the second time to "walk" my way into active labor.
At my 39 week check I was yet again disappointed when my doctor informed me although I was 90% effaced I was still holding strong at a 1. But never the less my belly was still rapidly growing and there was now a decision to be made. At 39 weeks I was measuring 43 weeks. Doing the math that means I was 4 weeks ahead (I was measuring beyond what a woman should measure when she delivers). The question was, do I try to be induced at a one, which heightens my chances of getting a C-section. Or do I go another week hoping I go into active labor, and risk having a c-section if the baby gets too big. Hmmmmm.....let me think. If I recall correctly I think my exact words to my doctor were "GET THIS THING OUT OF ME!"
So, at 39 wks 5 days I was admitted into the hospital. I was given meds to dilate my cervix for 12 hours that first night and was ecstatic to find I was finally at a two the next morning. This meant they could start me on petosin and give me an epidural. Oh Yes, an epidural. After weeks of contractions I finally got some much needed rest while I waited for my body to progress. Unfortunately throughout the day Dexter’s little heart struggled a bit and I was put on oxygen. But I smoothly dilated from a 2 to a 4 and I was ready to get the show on the road by late afternoon. Little did I know we would hit a road block. For six hours I stayed at a 4 and by 6:30pm my doc had to break the news to us. The baby was just too big for me and a cesarean was our only option in delivering.
So...I was prepped, as was Dave. We were given numerous talks about how easy the delivery was going to be and I was wheeled down to the operating room while Dave waited in the hallway to be called in. But, the minute the baby's heart monitor was placed the scene took an unexpected turn. Within three minutes Dexter's heart rate plummeted twice and controlled chaos had begun. I lay on the operating table as people swarmed around me. Nurses wheeled carts in as they poured iodine over my belly. The anesthesiologist began poking at me with a sharp tool only then realizing I still had feeling in my stomach. In minutes my doctor had arrived and was announcing to all in the room that they had to get the baby out NOW. As they laid a sheet over my head I listen to the room pick up pace once again, only to be overshadowed by the anesthesiologist yelling, "Wait! She can still feel that!" Which my doctor respond to with, "Put her out! We have got to get this baby out of her NOW!" And the next thing I knew the whole room went black.
As I was passing in and out of consciousness I remember a horrific amount of tugging from my belly and then Dave standing next to me as a nurse held Dexter up so I could see him. He was out, and healthy. Hours later, after being stitched, stapled, and scrubbed clean I was wheeled back to my recovery room to meet Dave and our baby boy. He was perfectly plump the chubbiest cheeks I’ve ever seen and a full head of black hair.
The next day my Doctor told us he had Dexter out in less than 60 seconds.
So, without further adieu, introducing:
Dexter Scott Collard, born July 15, 2010 at 7:49pm.
Weighing in at a whopping 9lbs 6oz, 21 inches long.